Wednesday 25 April 2007

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS DIV 1 GRP B

So this is my first posting for my new mainly UK hockey based blog. I hope to update the sucka as much as I can with the hockey happenings of the british isles as they happen and of course I'll provide my fully trustworthy opinions on them....

Division 1 Group B hockey is over for another year and how exciting it was. We ( Team GB of course) survived thanks to the general pantsness - yes it is a word - of Romania who propped up the six strong table. So it got me randomly thinking about Romanian hockey and what the set up is like over there just now. So my first British hockey blog is all about the relegated Romanians!!!..... It makes sense to me....

To the facts:

The league itself is made up of just six teams. Those being:

CSA Steaua Bucureşti
SC Miercurea Ciuc
CS Progym Gheorgheni
HCM Galaţi
HC Csíkszereda
HC Sportul Studenţesc Bucureşti

Sport Club Miercurea Ciuc are the champions for season 06/07 after defeating Steaua in the playoff finals in five games. The mighty Miercurea Ciuc who just happen to have former Capitals netminder Martin Kučera as their #1 stopper, well I say stopper I actually mean a guy that just happens to stands between the pipes. Anyway his team also topped the regular season table just a few points ahead of Steaua. I wonder how many shots he saved with his head again this season?. So its no real surprise to find out that seven players came from the champions to help make up the Romanian national squad and that Steaua provided the next highest amount with six skaters coming from their club. Everyone of their players were based in Romania. Seeing as they lost every game they played this year, including a complete blow out against Anze Kopitar it provided an insight into what standard of their league really is. So to me it is obviously below each of their Group B rivals national competitions.



Looking at some of the scorelines from last years play their isn't much competition for Ciuc either, they scored over twenty goals in three consecutive games at one point during their season. Scorelines of 29-0, 23-0, and a lowly 20-1. Can't believe Kucera let one past him. The sieve. In a third period showing alone they netted fifteen times against Galati. So a league of haves and have nots....





Kucera has finally found his level, he doesn't really need to play at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment