Sunday 18 November 2007

Bonjour From Finland

First up, Im using a very weird Finnish style keyboard, letters are in the wrong place and buttons don't do the things they are supposed to do. So forgive the mistakes if I actually make any when writing this...

As I type this im sitting in a small yet very stylish looking internet cafe just off the main shopping street of Jyväskylä town centre. It's a nice little place, friendly people and lots of bars around to enjoy the wonders of Finnish booze. I highly reccomend the Karjala and Koff beers but the 6 Euro asking price is a bit steep in anyone's langague, will maybe not for the Parisians and their rip off costs... ANYWAY!!!

So far Ive been in two towns and caught to SM-Liiga match ups. The other night there I was in Tampere to see Tappara take on Jokerit. It was more or less a complete sell out and the home-side didn't disappoint. Tappara were victorious 4-3 after OT. Then last night I was at another sold out game. I had to accept standing area tickets but I didnt mind this at all as I thought the standing area would be home to the ultras and the loudest fans. I was wrong!!!.
I guess the JyP fans don't do the Czech\Slovak thing of going mental behind the goals. I still managed to see a good close match-up with supreme skating skills on show. The home-side won during OT to record a 3-2 victory...

Next up for me is Kärpät vs TPS further north. Really looking forward to this one!

3 comments:

  1. 6 Eur a beer? That is barbarism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from the Breakaway...

    It's not just the Czechs and Slovaks who go mental behind the goals-the Germans tend to also. :)

    Does that mean than SM-Liiga games are fairly quiet, then? Just wondering cause Finland is one of the many countries I've never seen a game in..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised at how quiet the games have been so far. 3 match ups 3 quiet games. It wasn't like that the last time I was over here in Finland. I saw HIFK vs TPS and that atmosphere was excellent.

    and yes 6 euro was a farce!!!!! but the beer is so good mmmmmmm koff

    ReplyDelete