Monday 24 March 2008

HV-71 Fans In Falkirk

Pre last game of the regular EIHL season I was questioned on more than one occasion about my choice of hockey jersey. My mates insisted that I should have been wearing a Capitals top and that my choice of HV-71 was down right wrong for such a game.


But on my way home from the Caps victory over the Bison yesterday I was forced to depart the train at Falkirk Grahamston station due to "essential" work being carried out further down the line. So off I got with my brother and crossed over to the car park where I was being picked up to get a lift home. As I was waiting about on my parents arriving in their car I noticed a young couple staring in our direction and obviously talking about us. About five minutes later they came over to us and questioned my HV-71 jersey. It turned out they were Swedish exchange students over in Scotland studying but were from originally from Jönköping which just happens to be the home of HV-71. They said they couldn't believe their eyes when they saw me randomly walk past in what to them is an obscure Scottish town in the middle of no-where wearing the hockey jersey of their home town team. They had to come over and find out why I was there, so I stood talking to them for a little while explaining how I had been in Sweden and Jönköping earlier this year and that I had bought my top at the Kinnarps Arena just before I saw HV-71 beat Frolunda. They were so shocked about it all but that might have been down to them discovering that their was a hockey league in the UK.

So let that story be an inspiration to you all. You should wear your hockey tops all the time no matter where you go because you just don't know who you might just meet out on your travels.

1 comment: