Tuesday 26 June 2007

A man of sound judgement

Is MMM in inviting me to contribute to the world's premiere hockey blog. Having just returned from a ten month weekend I will need to add this accolade to my CV as I go out searching for employment.

The world is a small place and the hockey world, as a brief surf around Facebook will confirm, is even smaller. During my wanderings I met many a person with some hockey related anecdote, generally involving seeing Mike Modano at a party or how Dany Heatley gave them tips whilst at high school with them. All of these stories tend to end with "He was a foot bigger than the rest of us, even back then".

I met a girl who claimed her father was a close friend of ex-Team Canada coach Dave King, going as far as stating they were due to go up to his cabin for a weekend. One day a chance meeting like this will pay off, similar to the convoluted five year chain of events that led Theo Fleury to sign for Belfast. Hoping this would be the case, an email was fired off on my behalf to the man whose sacking as Magnitogorsk coach led to a complete turnaround in their fortunes and a trip to St. Petes for the last ever ECC.
Presumably Dave King's log cabin in the Canadian wilderness isn't wi-fi equiped. No contact was made and Scott Neil's worldwide search for a replacement for, erm, himself, resulted in the hiring of a mate of Jeff Hutchins who so happened to be in Nottingham for the playoffs.

A few days after cutting my degrees of separation from Dave King down to one I got chatting to a Canadian bloke called Ryan. He told me how his cousin-in-law failed to make it in the NHL as (apparently untrue) rumors of his alcoholism and destabilising influence in the dressing room were spread by unnamed shadowy characters.
It told him that he should tell his cousin-in-law to come over and play in the EIHL as that's what half of the players who fail to make the grade in North America end up doing. He replied that his cousin Barrie had done just that and was living in Coventry.

I have yet to meet a bona fide hockey player on my travels but I have it on good authority that Adrian Saul went on holiday to Thailand once.

1 comment:

  1. Do Zlín junior not count as hockey players? Pavel Bahula would be so disappointed in you...

    ReplyDelete